Monday, October 27, 2008

Revised selection criteria

For the November picks I will be making a revision to the selection criteria. There will be the same $32,000 limit for this year but in light of the article I posted earlier on car prices being not what they seem, I'm now going to make a rough estimate of the cost if the car isn't at a "driveaway" price (A "driveaway" price usually means that all fees are included so the price you see is what you pay - usually you have to pay stamp duty, delivery fees and statutory charges).

From now on (at least for this year) I'll add an extra $2,300 to the price of the car to include delivery charges (~$1,500), annual rego (~$700) and other fees (~$100). After that I'll multiply by 1.03 to incorporate the 3% stamp duty on cars below $45,000.

This will give a fairer comparison for cars by price. Considering I already painstakingly review ACT prices each month, it wouldn't be much extra effort to reward those that are giving driveaway deals.

This'll also mean the database will most likely shrink to a smaller size since there will be a lot of cars near the $32,000RRP as a base price.

No comments: